Saturday, March 28, 2020

Lives Changed

So, this weeks post was supposed to be on "Diffusion of Innovations", I skimmed through the reading material and although it is somewhat interesting, I just could not take my mind off of what is going on in the world. Our entire lives have been turned upside down by something called COVID-19. It isn't just something, it is a pandemic.
Just a few weeks ago, I was at High Point University packing my back for Spring Break. I was heading home to New Smyrna Beach, Florida to visit my family and spend time with some friends. I packed some bathing suits and casual beach clothes and caught my flight home. Little did I know, I would not be returning anytime soon.
Sure, I heard some buzz about this virus that originated in China and was spreading. But, people were saying not to worry. Our own President referred to it as a "hoax" so, I guess you could say I was completely blindsided by what was to come. Could this really be happening? People are dying and there are more and more people each day coming down with this potentially deadly virus. My head is spinning... I can't seem to wrap my mind around what is happening.
We are told to remain home, my mother is running around trying to buy necessities to keep our family of five fed and healthy. There is a sense of panic and of all things, people are stockpiling toilet paper. Yes, toilet paper. Not a roll to be found! Shelves are empty, people are coping the only way they know how.
My family owns and operates movie theaters and for the first time since 1947, we do not have a movie running somewhere. Yes, all 147 screens have gone dark in the theaters and by the governers ordinance will cease to operate until it is deemed safe to do so. I am in disbelief. I see the worry in my parent's eyes. This isn't a slight worry, it is deeprooted and seems to emanate from deep within them. No longer am I the carefree college student I was a few weeks ago. Life has changed, not just in my little part of the world, but throughout the entire world.
So for now, I will take all my courses online and pray. Pray for all of us. May we have strength and courage and most of all health.

No comments:

Post a Comment